Calling all of Boulder County! It's time we take control of our sustainable future.
On April 22, Earth Day, there's an important event happening at the Boulder County Courthouse that has a huge impact on the future of environmental sustainability in Boulder County.
We need committed folks like you there!
Don't let your voice be squashed. A vociferous opposition to the county sustainability tax is expected to show up TODAY at the Boulder County Commissioners' Public Hearing.
We need YOU to show our strength and unity!
Three things you can do to show your support of Boulder County investing in a sustainable future (skip to #3 if you can't make the April 22 hearing):
1. Show your solidarity by coming to the County Commissioner's Public Hearing on the funding of sustainability needs TOMORROW, Earth Day, April 22nd at 4PM. Wear a green t-shirt. Meet us at the front of the Boulder County Courthouse on Pearl Street at 3:45PM. We'll be there with talking points and green Eco-Cycle t-shirts for folks to borrow.
2. At the hearing, sign up to speak and share why you support the sustainability tax. Each speaker gets 3 minutes.
Quick talking points: To get to Zero Waste or darn near, Boulder County needs to invest in the following Zero Waste infrastructure:
- a much needed in-county public compost facility
- an east-county CHaRM facility
- an in-county construction and demolition transfer station (for recycling building materials like concrete and wood)
- much-needed upgrades to the Boulder County Recycling Center to increase its capacity to accommodate larger loads from future increases in businesses recycling, and for recycling more types of plastics
Scroll down for more talking points and to learn more about the sustainability tax.
Can't come Tuesday? You can still take action:
3. Email the county commissioners at before tomorrow's hearing with your request that they 1) place the Sustainability Tax on November's ballot and 2) use the funds for the above mentioned Zero Waste infrastructure needs.
Hope to see you on April 22nd!
Zero Waste Field Organizer
The Boulder County Commissioners are considering placing a Sustainability Tax on this November's Ballot. The money raised would be used to fund Zero Waste infrastructure (including a much-needed public compost facility), support the production of local organic food, and bolster the enormously successful Energy Smart program. Eco-Cycle fully supports the County promoting these sustainability goals.
The County Commissioners are seeking public input at their meeting on Earth Day, April 22, at 4:00 p.m. at the Boulder County Courthouse at 13th and Pearl Street in Boulder. Eco-Cycle will be there in full force, and we hope you'll be there, too. We strongly encourage you to join us to show your support for moving our City and our County in a sustainable direction in pursuit of Zero Waste. Please wear a green shirt to demonstrate your support. (I will bring extra Eco-Cycle T-shirts, too.)