Job Opportunities at Eco-Cycle
Eco-Cycle, one of the oldest and largest non-profit recyclers in the nation and a global pioneer of the Zero Waste movement, seeks a development director at 30-40 hours per week to help fund our Zero Waste work and programs. Successful candidate will have exceptional writing, grammar, and communications skills, and will ideally be a passionate environmentalist. Must have a minimum of 5 years demonstrated fundraising success, preferably within the Boulder County community. Event coordination experience a plus. Salary is competitive with local non-profits and dependent upon experience. Full benefits. Please send salary requirements, cover letter, resume and writing sample to . Job will remain open until filled by the ideal candidate. No phone calls please.
This position reports directly to the Executive Director.
This position is responsible for the facilitation and oversight of Eco-Cycle’s development/fundraising plan, which includes, in part:
- Developing annual fundraising plan
- Coordinating board and staff participation in overall fundraising strategy and specific fundraising opportunities
- Researching grant opportunities and appropriate matches
- Writing grants, or support of grants being written by department directors
- Tracking grants calendar, submissions, grants received and reporting requirements
- Writing or assisting with grant reports and ensuring timely submission of reports
- Maintaining file of up-to-date grant attachments
- Researching potential corporate partnerships
- Coordinating opportunities for Executive Director or directors of relevant departments to pitch corporate reps
- Soliciting sponsors for events, etc.
Individual Donor Relations
- Coordinating donor relations activities with Executive Director
- Meeting with current and potential donors
- Coordinating monthly high donor e-newsletter
- Overseeing donor recognition process (thank you letters)
Coordinating fundraising events
- Creating fundraising/friend raising event opportunities, large and small
- Adding a fundraising element to other Eco-Cycle events (aka silent auction, etc.)
- Coordinating message, printing, distribution
- Colorado Gives Day and other donation conduits
- Updating Colorado Gives profile annually
- Maintaining and updating other giving conduits (AmazonSmile, Benevity, Easy Match, 1% for the Planet, etc.)
- Ensuring matching gift opportunities are maximized e.g. volunteers’ and donors’ employers
- Working with Communications and other company directors to create content for Annual Report including program updates, financials, etc.
Coordinating Social Media fundraising
Working with communications director to create and update fundraising messages on
- Employee signatures
- All e-newsletters from Eco-Cycle
- Social media outlets, etc.
- Working with communications director to create and update fundraising messages on
Overseeing database for donation, grant and prospect tracking
- Manage and track donors, prospects, etc. on Salesforce database
- Supervising the office coordinator’s accurate entry and timely recognition of all gifts (checks, cash, credit cards, EFT and online-GiftTool and Colorado Gives) in Salesforce and coordination with accounting department on donations and grants communications, accounting, tracking, etc.
- Identifying, capturing and helping to create fundraising stories
- Reporting to Board on progress on fundraising goals
- Representation at monthly meetings
- Support of Community Shares efforts and recruitment on behalf of Eco-Cycle
- Integration of Community shares into annual strategy
- Updating, writing and submitting annual membership recertification application
- Identifying additional fundraising opportunities
Eco-Cycle is an equal opportunity employer.
CDL-B Recycling Route Driver (Boulder County)
Eco-Cycle is looking for a full-time driver for routes in Boulder County. As one of the country's leading non-profit recyclers, we offer a competitive salary and benefits after 90 days. Salary based on experience.
Routes run Mon. - Fri., some Saturdays. Must be familiar with Boulder County and not afraid to get dirty! Ability to lift up to 75 pounds and push and pull heavy dumpsters is required.
If you're willing to support our mission and represent our goals in action, apply in person at 6400 Arapahoe Ave., Boulder. Please bring current MVR.
Must have VALID CDL-B and a clean driving record!
Eco-Cycle seeks a maintenance mechanic to troubleshoot and repair processing equipment for a large recycling center in Boulder. The right individual will need to have experience with troubleshooting and repairing industrial equipment and system issues, and be able to work safely in and around processing equipment, perform field inspections, and create maintenance reports.
Candidates must be physically able to climb ladders 20+ feet from time to time and navigate repairs in varying conditions including outdoor environments exposed to the elements. Must be a self starter who is able to manage time and responsibilities. This is generally a semi-supervised position, so self-motivation and dedication to completing tasks is a must.
Able to work on and troubleshoot hydraulic equipment.
Welding and light fabrication as needed.
Able to conduct repairs on processing equipment, conveyors, forklifts, skid steer, and front loader.
Able to communicate with equipment technicians and vendors.
Able to coordinate and inspect a preventive maintenance program.
Able to work in a team motivated environment.
Basic computer skills, MS Word and MS Excel are helpful but not a must.
Physical requirements of this position include the ability to push, pull, and lift items up to 40 (+) pounds.
Organize maintenance shop and secure maintenance equipment in order to promote efficient, safe, and secure operations.
Maybe called on after hours in case of emergency.
Bilingual in Spanish a plus
Work hours may require overtime, evenings, weekends and/or holidays.
Legally authorized to work in the United States on a regular full-time basis without restrictions.
High school diploma or GED equivalent.
Valid driver’s license.
Job salary will vary with experience. Please send a resume to .
Work at the Boulder County Recycling Center
Eco-Cycle runs the Boulder County Recycling Center and employs people on the sorting lines and running equipment. Hiring for these positions is done by this company. Please contact them for current openings.
Leadpoint USA: www.leadpointusa.com, 1-800-552-3136
Eco-Cycle Solutions Program Assistant: Summer
Eco-Cycle Solutions, a project of Eco-Cycle, supports communities around the U.S. as they move toward Zero Waste by providing tools, models, resources and expert advice. Our program assistant supports our website and the program in a variety of roles that vary frequently including:
- research and writing fact sheets
- research and policy analysis on Zero Waste cities
- developing blogs, enewsletters and social media outreach
- updating our website and more.
Hours: Hours/days are flexible. Ability to work offsite for small periods. Stipend is negotiable.
- Passion for the environment, particularly recycling and Zero Waste
- Excellent writing skills with ability to write for many different audiences from technical to general public
- Attention to detail a must, and ability to juggle and organize overlapping tasks in different platforms
- Software and tech savvy, and quick learner of new software. Experience in Wordpress a plus.
Zero Waste Outreach Internship: Spring and/or Summer
Eco-Cycle is looking for azero waste outreach intern with one position available for the spring and one position available for the summer. This person will assist in community outreach, campaigns, website updates and social media support. He or she will also aid in data research to support our innovative Zero Waste initiatives. This resume building opportunity will provide excellent hands on experience in environmental sustainability and provide education in Zero Waste, while developing interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Developing and distributing materials to recruit and connect with community volunteers and leaders
- Engaging in educational conversation about zero waste with community members
- Providing social media support to increase community awareness and involvement Eco-Cycle’s campaigns
- Assisting in the education outreach to businesses and Multi Family communities for compliance with the new Zero Waste Ordinance for the City of Boulder
Hours: Flexible hours, 10-15
Qualifications: We are looking for a hard-working, dedicated individual with a passion for Zero Waste and the environment. A qualified candidate will have great people, organizational, and researching skills. This person will also need to take initiative, be flexible, and have a positive attitude.
Zero Waste Events Internship
Eco-Cycle is looking for an intern who is passionate about educating others on how to reduce environmental impact during large scale events in Boulder County. The intern will work under the supervision of the Event Coordinator and with volunteers and vendors to assist guests at Zero Waste events. Duties include loading, driving and unloading the events truck, setting-up and breaking-down Zero Waste Stations and event equipment, preventing contamination of the recycling and compost bins and working closely with other Zero Waste event staff. Interns will work almost exclusively on weekends.
Qualifications:Excellent communication skills, high energy, interest in environmental education, ability to be on one’s feet for several hours at a time and lift up to 50lbs.
Environmental Education Internship
Boulder County School Recycling Program:
The Eco-Cycle Schools Department coordinates the collection of recyclables and compostables from all public schools in Boulder County. In addition, we deliver 1,600 presentations annually on a wide variety of environmental topics to students throughout Boulder County, from preschool through high school. We also run the Green Star Schools Program, the first program of its kind in the nation, which helps schools Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and Compost as they strive toward becoming models of Zero Waste. As of fall of 2015, there are 40 Boulder County schools in this award-winning project. We plan to add three more schools in the 2015-2016 school year.
In addition, we coordinate the Children’s Used Book Project. Through the Eco-Cycle/City of Boulder Center for Hard-to-Recycle Materials (CHaRM), we receive thousands of used books every year. We go through the children’s books of good quality, sort them for grade level, and then donate them to our Green Star Schools, charities, and teachers for their classrooms. Through this program, we are able to distribute between 10-20,000 free books a year.
The Schools Department is looking for an intern for the spring and/or fall of 2016. The intern will have the opportunity to gain experience in the field of environmental education while helping to make the overall program run more smoothly. The intern will be responsible for helping with a variety of tasks, including:
- Providing support at Green Star Schools kickoff assemblies and at 5 and 10-year celebrations (including napkin making, lunch time monitoring and working with students during assemblies).
- Making educational posters for lunchrooms and preschool classrooms.
- Cleaning and labeling recycling and compost containers for delivery to schools.
- Supporting outreach efforts at Zero Waste events by educating the public at waste stations and providing fun activities for students like face painting
- Training and engaging students by monitoring waste stations in the lunchrooms.
- Assisting with the sorting and distribution of books for the Children’s Used Book Project.
- Possibility to teach students (kindergarten through high school) in classroom settings and on field trips
The Environmental Education Intern will also have the opportunity to shadow and assist with a variety of classroom presentations and field trips to see environmental education in action. Topics may include forestry, rainforest, air quality, energy conservation, water conservation, litter prevention, household hazardous waste alternatives, as well as recycling, composting and waste reduction.
- Experience and interest in working with children.
- Interest and base knowledge of environmental topics.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Reliable transportation and willingness to drive to schools throughout Boulder County.
- 10 hours/week, flexible. May include some evenings and weekends.
This is an unpaid internship. Credit is available to college students.
About the Green Star Business program:
The Green Star Business (GSB) program is an affordable sustainability consulting program designed by Eco-Cycle to take Boulder businesses to bold new levels of sustainability. We address waste reduction, water and energy conservation, sustainable purchasing, green building, alternative transportation, staff training, and more. We provide comprehensive, long-term, customized sustainability consulting that burnishes brands, improves employee retention, appeals to customers, and supports the community.
This internship is an opportunity to experience the challenges and rewards of helping companies become more sustainable. The candidate will contribute to Eco-Cycle’s work with members on sustainability strategy and implementation, as well as our core program functions. The intern will research and author blogs, templates, and other content related to both our service offerings and key sustainability issues of our members and prospects. The candidate will support social media efforts and may work within our customer relationship manager system, to identify, qualify, and research new clients for sustainability consulting work or special projects. The candidate must be open to tasks that fall outside the above description.
All candidates should ideally have:
- Strong writing skills (writing sample required, see below for details)
- Sustainability focused coursework or professional experience
- Tech and/or business background or proficiency in one or both
- Experience in sales, marketing, social media, and/or email list management tools
- An interest in the intersection of sustainability and business and sustainability consulting as a career
- A self-starting mindset with a high level of accountability, comfortable working independently and managing priorities, and able to use creativity to independently close gaps in information
- A positive attitude, outgoing personality to communicate with our team and members in a professional manner
Location: 6400 Arapahoe Avenue, Boulder, CO
Term: Spring and/or summer 2016
Commitment: 6hrs per week, flexible
Compensation: Unpaid; college credit available
- Cover letter and resume
- Writing sample: Must be 500-1000 words, authored exclusively by the applicant (school paper, blog post, etc.); preferably with a focus on business or lifestyle sustainability. Published work is preferable, but not necessary.