Job Opportunities at Eco-Cycle
Eco-Cycle is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and workplace. We seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool to better serve our mission of bringing Zero Waste to all communities. We celebrate, support and thrive on diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and volunteers. Eco-Cycle prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. Eco-Cycle employment decisions are based on job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Eco-Cycle Schools Department Director
to oversee Schools Recycling and Environmental Education Program
Eco-Cycle, one of the oldest and largest nonprofit recyclers in the country, seeks a highly qualified full-time Department Director to administrator our award-winning Boulder County School Recycling and Environmental Education Program. Eco-Cycle’s education program serves 90 public schools in three school districts, facilitating recycling and compost collection services, implementing our Green Star Schools Zero Waste program, and providing environmental education on a wide variety of topics to more than 56,000 K-12th grade students and school staff each school year. (A full description of the program is available on Eco-Cycle’s website at http://ecocycle.org/schools.)
- Full-time position with generous benefit package (four weeks’ vacation, sick leave, 403(b), health insurance, $50K life insurance, short and long-term disability)
- Option for additional time off (without pay) for summer break, length of break negotiable
- Location: Eco-Cycle offices at 6400 Arapahoe in Boulder, CO
- Reports directly to: Executive Director, with direction from Deputy Director
The qualified candidate will serve as co-Director with the current Director for a number of weeks to ensure a smooth transition, given the complex integration of this program with local school districts, government funding, and the Boulder and Broomfield County communities.
- Lead and coach a staff of seven, including educators, program registrar and project managers to implement 2,000 presentations and field trips annually
- Oversee collection systems for recycling and compost, including collection container placement, signage and working with school staff and Eco-Cycle collection services
- Oversee program budget totaling $500,000
- Write proposals and maintain contracts and grants with multiple funders including governments, school districts and foundations
- Conduct record keeping and reporting on a monthly and annual basis for multiple projects, grants and contracts
- Oversee extensive customer service to parents, teachers, administrators, and Boulder and Broomfield County community members along with key staff
- Develop relationships and engage with local politicians, government and district partners, and other environmental education nonprofits to champion the program and maintain its status and funding
- Work synergistically with Eco-Cycle’s Executive Director, Deputy Director and other department heads to achieve Eco-Cycle’s Zero Waste mission and integrate the Schools Department within the work of the larger organization
- Dedication to environmental work
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in science, education, or environmental education
Required minimum of five years’ experience with program management including:
- Managing a staff of at least 3-5 employees including hiring, training, delegating, and coaching
- Government contract bidding, negotiation, and oversight
- Grant writing and/or funded project execution
- Simultaneous coordination of multiple programs, projects, and project lead staff
- Coordination of detailed record keeping, reporting and invoicing of funders
- Oversight and development of program curriculum, materials and props
- Relationship building and maintenance with government officials and foundation funders
- Coordination of advertising, program promotion, and oversight of program registration staff
- Experience with successful curriculum and lesson plan development for K-12th grades
- Experience teaching in classroom and field trip settings for K-12th grades
- Skilled writing (proposals, grants and reports) and computer skills including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Google products
- Reliable vehicle to provide own transport to schools (mileage reimbursed)
Work Personality Attributes to Thrive in This Position:
- Highly organized and attentive to detail
- Meticulous in record keeping and archiving of project materials
- Able to juggle multiple projects simultaneously with good time management
- Flexible with changing tasks and evolving priorities
- Creative, with the ability to develop new programs and projects as the program evolves
To Apply: Send resume and cover letter to: email@example.com, with “Schools Department Director” in the subject heading. The position will remain open until filled by a qualified candidate.
Eco-Cycle, Boulder's nonprofit recycler, is looking for a friendly, energetic and positive person to join our team at our Center for Hard-to-Recycle Materials. CHaRM is a cutting edge facility which recovers value from a wide range of unique and challenging consumer goods. This is a full-time position with generous benefits. The job is a combination of equipment operation (such as a basic baler), forklift work (experience preferred but not required), and customer service (answering questions, helping people unload their cars). Full description is below.
- Provide direction and guidance to CHaRM customers to ensure they comply with material quality standards and to communicate the impacts of contamination
- Conduct quality control of all received materials at all phases of CHaRM operations: collection, processing and shipping.
- Maintain CHaRM public drop-off lane in a safe and orderly condition
- Operate a variety of material processing equipment including vertical balers, conveyors, forklifts, pallet jacks, etc.
- Direct and assist customers as needed and be alert for safety hazards
- Provide courteous and professional customer service at all times
- Keep all unloading areas free of debris (CHaRM lane and commercial unloading area)
- Assist self-hauling commercial customers in unloading accepted materials for processing
- Maintain forklift operator’s certificate in good standing (training and certification provided by Eco-Cycle)
- Perform regular basic safety check and preventive maintenance on forklifts and CHaRM processing and materials handling equipment
- Perform all of the above tasks in coordination with small yard crew by maintaining good communication and relationships with fellow Eco-Cycle staff
- Other duties as assigned
Job Experience/Skills Required
- A demonstrated personal commitment to our environment, to reuse/recycling and an interest in conserving natural resources
- Public facing customer service oriented experience
- Good team player – able to communicate problems and suggest practical solutions
- Some general knowledge of equipment/machinery/tools
- Certified forklift operator experience preferred with clean record or other large equipment experience
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 40 pounds repeatedly
- Job requires performing physical labor in a safe way and includes significant time driving a forklift daily
- Job also requires working outdoors in all weather conditions in addition to working in a warehouse
- Must be 18 years of age or older
To apply: Send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org subject: CHaRM Recycler.
Eco-Cycle runs the Boulder County Recycling Center and employs people on the sorting lines and running equipment. Hiring for these positions is done by 5280 Staffing Solutions. Please contact them for current openings.
5280 Staffing Solutions: https://www.5280staffing.com/, 720-600-4528.
In addition, Eco-Cycle offers a variety of ongoing internships opportunities in several areas of our work. Please contact us if you’re interested in learning more about other opportunities or in creating your own program.