Job Opportunities at Eco-Cycle
Zero Waste Field Manager
Eco-Cycle is hiring a full-time Zero Waste Field Manager to harness and expand our grassroots power by recruiting, training and engaging youth and adults in Boulder County around Zero Waste and climate change issues. This person will mobilize citizens toward advocating for change in their communities through educational and direct action campaigns.
The Zero Waste Field Manager will oversee Eco-Cycle’s Block Leader and Volunteer Program, advocacy and grassroots campaigns in the City of Boulder, and general outreach and education programs in the City of Boulder and the Town of Lyons. He or she will supervise other outreach staff as needed.
The Zero Waste Field Manager will serve as a significant public face of Eco-Cycle, relating with volunteers, elected officials, business owners and community leaders.
- Full-time requires some evening and weekend engagements.
- Recruiting, training, coordinating and appreciating volunteers;
- Expanding and strengthening our Block Leader network of more than 800 volunteers, the foundation of our grassroots field, developing and maintaining relationships with Block Leaders and volunteers that keeps them engaged and values their contributions, and maintaining and updating the Block Leader and volunteer data base;
- Developing new leaders through one-on-one meetings and group meetings;
- Creating and implementing training programs for volunteers and Block Leaders to become advocates for Zero Waste in their own communities;
- Mobilizing volunteers and citizen activists for action—though rallies, public meetings, house parties, petitions, letters, emails, and calls to decision makers;
- Building necessary public and political support and organizing events for grassroots action needed to win Zero Waste and Climate Campaigns;
- Collaborating closely with Eco-Cycle’s Campaigns team by supporting team members, providing creative ideas, and strategizing synergistic ways to strengthen both educational and political campaigns;
- Writing email alerts, letters to the editor, blogs, and social media posts;
- Supervising one to two outreach staff as needed;
- Directing door-to-door canvass outreach; and
- Reporting directly to Community Campaigns Director.
- Smart, creative college graduate or post graduate with five or more years of experience managing or directing grassroots campaigns or community organizing;
- Committed and passionate about creating social change for the good of the environment and the local and global community;
- Lives by an environmental ethic in terms of personal life choices and practices;
- Independent and self-driven, hard worker who doesn’t need a lot of guidance or direction; able to manage self, staff and volunteers, supporting others’ work and able to solve problems creatively;
- Track record of accomplishments in community and/or political organizing;
- Excellent community organizing skills, volunteer management, strategizing and following through on organizing campaigns;
- Excellent leadership development skills; ready to do what it takes to turn someone into a great leader; inspirational and enthusiastic presence;
- Excellent individual and group communication skills (written and verbal); finesse in applying these skills across a range of relationships with a wide variety of constituents including youth, adults, and community leaders;
- Ability to speak and present in front of groups of different sizes;
- Strong planning and organizational skills; including excellent time management, project management and delegation skills;
- Ability to apply creative and critical thinking to improve existing programs;
- Familiarity with Boulder County preferred;
- Bilingual Spanish-English speaker preferred;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office programs and the use of social media;
Salary is competitive and includes health and dental insurance, vacation and other benefits.
CDL-B Recycling Route Driver (Boulder County)
Eco-Cycle is looking for a full-time driver for routes in Boulder County. As one of the country's leading non-profit recyclers, we offer a competitive salary and benefits after 90 days. Salary based on experience.
Routes run Mon. - Fri., some Saturdays. Must be familiar with Boulder County and not afraid to get dirty! Ability to lift up to 75 pounds and push and pull heavy dumpsters is required.
If you're willing to support our mission and represent our goals in action, apply in person at 6400 Arapahoe Ave., Boulder. Please bring current MVR.
Must have VALID CDL-B and a clean driving record!
Eco-Cycle seeks a maintenance mechanic to troubleshoot and repair processing equipment for a large recycling center in Boulder. The right individual will need to have experience with troubleshooting and repairing industrial equipment and system issues, and be able to work safely in and around processing equipment, perform field inspections, and create maintenance reports.
Candidates must be physically able to climb ladders 20+ feet from time to time and navigate repairs in varying conditions including outdoor environments exposed to the elements. Must be a self starter who is able to manage time and responsibilities. This is generally a semi-supervised position, so self-motivation and dedication to completing tasks is a must.
Able to work on and troubleshoot hydraulic equipment.
Welding and light fabrication as needed.
Able to conduct repairs on processing equipment, conveyors, forklifts, skid steer, and front loader.
Able to communicate with equipment technicians and vendors.
Able to coordinate and inspect a preventive maintenance program.
Able to work in a team motivated environment.
Basic computer skills, MS Word and MS Excel are helpful but not a must.
Physical requirements of this position include the ability to push, pull, and lift items up to 40 (+) pounds.
Organize maintenance shop and secure maintenance equipment in order to promote efficient, safe, and secure operations.
Maybe called on after hours in case of emergency.
Bilingual in Spanish a plus
Work hours may require overtime, evenings, weekends and/or holidays.
Legally authorized to work in the United States on a regular full-time basis without restrictions.
High school diploma or GED equivalent.
Valid driver’s license.
Job salary will vary with experience. Please send a resume to .
Work at the Boulder County Recycling Center
Eco-Cycle runs the Boulder County Recycling Center and employs people on the sorting lines and running equipment. Hiring for these positions is done by this company. Please contact them for current openings.
Leadpoint USA: www.leadpointusa.com, 1-800-552-3136
Eco-Cycle International Program Assistant:Summer and Fall Opportunities
Eco-Cycle International, a project of Eco-Cycle, supports communities around the U.S. as they move toward Zero Waste by providing tools, models, resources and access to experts. Our program interns provide a variety of tasks that vary frequently and may include: creating fact sheets and graphics for toolkit development, research and policy analysis on Zero Waste cities, answering emails and responding to customer requests, social media outreach, coordinating and staging webinars, drafting and sending enewsletters and more.
Hours: Hours/days are flexible. Ability to work offsite for small periods. Stipend is negotiable.
- Passion for the environment, particularly recycling and Zero Waste
- Excellent writing skills with ability to synthesize reports, facts and ideas into compelling headlines and tidbits
- Attention to detail a must, and ability to juggle and organize overlapping tasks in different platforms
- Software and tech savvy, and quick learner of new software. Advanced experience in PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Google docs and Wordpress a plus. Creative design and layout skills a plus but not required.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and comfort in shared work environment
Zero Waste Events Internship:
Eco-Cycle is looking for an intern who is passionate about educating others on how to reduce environmental impact during large scale events in Boulder County. The intern will work under the supervision of the Event Coordinator and with volunteers and vendors to assist guests at Zero Waste events. Duties include loading, driving and unloading the events truck, setting-up and breaking-down Zero Waste Stations and event equipment, preventing contamination of the recycling and compost bins and working closely with other Zero Waste event staff. Interns will work almost exclusively on weekends.
Skills: Excellent communication skills, high energy, interest in environmental education, ability to be on one’s feet for several hours at a time and lift up to 50lbs.
Position starts in June and continues through the end of August, The hours will vary depending on the event schedule for each week, but you can expect to work 5-12 hrs/week with the majority of hours being on the weekends.
We are looking for a hard-working, dedicated individual with a passion for Zero Waste and the environment. A qualified candidate will have great people, organizational, and communication skills. This person will also need to take initiative, be flexible, and have a positive attitude.
This position is unpaid. Send resume to or call 303-444-6634
Environmental Education Intern:
Boulder County School Recycling Program:
The Eco-Cycle Schools Department coordinates the collection of recyclables and compostables from all public schools in Boulder County. In addition, we deliver 1,600 presentations annually on a wide variety of environmental topics to students throughout Boulder County, from preschool through high school. We also run the Green Star Schools Program, the first program of its kind in the nation, which helps schools Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and Compost as they strive toward becoming models of Zero Waste. As of spring 2015, there are 40 Boulder County schools in this award-winning project. We plan to add three more schools in the 2015-2016 school year.
In addition, we coordinate the Children’s Used Book Project. Through the Eco-Cycle/City of Boulder Center for Hard-to-Recycle Materials (CHaRM), we receive thousands of used books every year. We go through the children’s books of good quality, sort them for grade level, and then donate them to our Green Star Schools, charities, and teachers for their classrooms. Through this program, we are able to distribute between 10-20,000 free books a year.
The Schools Department is looking for an intern for the fall 2015 and/or spring of 2016. The intern will have the opportunity to gain experience in the field of environmental education while helping to make the overall program run more smoothly. The intern will be responsible for helping with a variety of tasks, including:
- Providing support at Green Star Schools kickoff assemblies and at 5 and 10-year celebrations (including napkin making, lunch time monitoring and working with students during assemblies).
- Making educational posters for lunchrooms and preschool classrooms.
- Cleaning and labeling recycling and compost containers for delivery to schools.
- Supporting outreach efforts at Zero Waste events by educating the public at waste stations and providing fun activities for students like face painting.
- Training and engaging students by monitoring waste stations in the lunchrooms.
- Assisting with the sorting and distribution of books for the Children’s Used Book Project.
- Possibility to teach students (kindergarten through high school) in classroom settings and on field trips
The Environmental Education Intern will also have the opportunity to shadow and assist with a variety of classroom presentations and field trips to see environmental education in action. Topics may include forestry, rainforest, air quality, energy conservation, water conservation, litter prevention, household hazardous waste alternatives, as well as recycling, composting and waste reduction.
- Experience and interest in working with children.
- Interest and base knowledge of environmental topics.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Reliable transportation and willingness to drive to schools throughout Boulder County.
- 10 hours/week, flexible. May include some evenings and weekends.