What information do we collect?
We may collect the following categories of personal information from and about you:
- identifiers such as a name, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, email address, phone number, or other similar identifiers;
- commercial information, such as your purchase history, credit card information, or products you have expressed interest in;
- internet or other electronic network activity information, such as the data we receive when you interact with our website;
- audio, visual, or similar information, such as photographs or voice recordings;
- additional information, such as your views and preferences regarding recycling and about your interactions with us or visits to our facilities; and
- inferences drawn from the above categories.
We collect personal information about you from a variety of sources, including:
From you: We collect information that you submit to us. For example, we may collect information when you purchase a product, apply to volunteer with us or for a job, participate in our message boards or forums, sign up to receive our newsletters, participate in polls and surveys, or otherwise contact us with a question, comment, or request.
From your devices: We and our service providers may automatically collect certain technical information from your computer or mobile device over time and across different websites when you use the Services, such as your IP address, your general geographic location, your browser type, your operating system, the pages you view on the Services, the pages you view immediately before and after you access the Services, and the search terms you enter on the Services. This information allows us to recognize you and personalize your experience if you return to the Services, and to improve the Services. We and our service providers may collect this information using “cookies,” which are small text files that the Services save on your device using your web browser and access when you return.
How do we use this information?
We may use the information we collect for a number of purposes, including:
- providing you with products, services, or information you request;
- providing you with information about the Services, including educational information about recycling, our operations and community initiatives, the materials we accept, our upcoming volunteer activities, or required notices;
- delivering communications regarding donations;
- allowing us to improve the Services, such as by better tailoring our content and opportunities to our volunteers’ needs and preferences; and
- detecting, preventing, and responding to fraud, intellectual property infringement, violations of our policies, violations of law, or other misuse of the Services.
Under what circumstances do we disclose this information?
We may disclose the information we collect from you through the Services:
- to third parties, when you direct us to do so;
- to third parties that provide services to us in connection with our business operations and that have agreed to keep the information confidential, including, but not limited to, third parties that provide order and payment processing services;
- as required by law, such as to comply with a subpoena or other legal process, or to comply with government reporting obligations; and
- when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary (a) to protect our rights, the integrity of the Services, or your safety or the safety of others, or (b) to detect, prevent, or respond to fraud, intellectual property infringement, violations of our policies, violations of law, or other misuse of the Services.
In addition, we may share or disclose information that has been aggregated, de-identified, or otherwise does not identify you.
Please note that the Services may contain third-party links. We are not responsible for the collection and use of your information by such third parties that are not under our control. We encourage you to review the privacy policies of each website you visit.
We use analytics to help improve both the user experience and functionality. Eco-Cycle uses external services, including Google Analytics, to attain real-time statistics on use and navigation of the website, including page views, traffic patterns, visit counts, and visit statistics. These services are not used to gather, request, record, require, collect, or track personally identifiable information.
You may opt out of receiving marketing or other communications from us by clicking on the opt-out link in the emails you receive from us or by contacting us. You also may request that we delete your personal information at any time. Please contact us using the information below to make such requests.
We retain your personal information for as long as we have a relationship with you. After our relationship has ended, we retain your personal information as long as required by law. We may also retain records to investigate or defend against potential legal claims.