CHaRM: Center for Hard-to-Recycle Materials
6400 Arapahoe Rd, Boulder, co-located with ReSource
CHaRM will be CLOSED on Thursday, July 4th!
Monday - Friday: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Saturday: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
CHaRM is closed on Sundays
CHaRM is an outdoor facility. In the event of extreme weather, call us at (303) 444-6634 before you visit to find out if the CHaRM is open. We care about your safety and our employees!
Accepted payment methods
Cash, check, and any credit cards other than Diner's Club
Before you recycle that item... try to fix it at an upcoming U-Fix-It Clinic!
MAP OF CHaRM AND BOULDER'S
What is the CHaRM?
CHaRM opened in 2001 and was the first facility of its kind in the nation. It collects unusual materials like electronics and plastic bags for recycling and reuse.
The CHaRM is funded in part by city of Boulder trash tax dollars.
Cash, check, and any credit cards other than Diner's Club
Free of charge:
ELECTRONICS: New Bulk Pricing
Computer towers (CPUs), laptops, tablets: no charge
CRT (not flatscreen) TVs, rear-projection TVs, Monitors: $0.59/lb
NOTE: Broken CRT glass is classified by the EPA as hazardous waste, and requires extra handling and documentation. Price for broken CRT glass is $1.00/lb.
All other electronics, including audio equipment, mobile phones, fax machines or any other item with a battery or cord: $0.49/lb. (updated 2/1/2018)
Optional Hard-drive Shredding service (please request): $12/hard drive. Bulk hard-drive shredding IS available; fee of $12/hard drive still applies. Please call 303-444-6634 for more information.
Ink Jet and Laser Jet (no charge)
Plate Glass Windows
Includes windows, patio doors, shower doors, picture frame glass, glass tabletops, glass block, tempered glass, insulated glass
Cracked and broken panes are OK
Window without jamb: $3.00/unit
Window with jamb: $8.00/unit
Door without jamb: $12.00/unit
Door with jamb: $20.00/unit
NO glassware (drinking glass, dishes, etc.), mirrors, Pyrex (food containers, microwave dishes, measuring cups), canning jars, or bottles and jars.
Includes plastic shopping and newspaper bags, ziplock bags, dry cleaner bags and bubble wrap
MUST be clean, dry, and empty of all food, receipts, etc. with tape and stickers removed
NO plastic food wrap or packing peanuts
Accepted with plastic bags in plastic bag bin
Must be clean and dry
NO packing peanuts, other foam
#6 White Block Foam
Businesses: $6 per cubic yard
NO shipping labels on foam, packing peanuts, "Styrofoam" (polystyrene) cups, “to-go” boxes, meat trays or any other food-grade styrofoam, moisture or tape
Electric and battery-powered appliances
$0.49/lb. (updated 2/1/2018)
NO vacuum bags, glass (coffee pots, blender carafes, etc.), or food/liquid residue .
Have appliances that are mostly metal? See scrap metal listing.
Please note that we will weigh your materlals on-site and give you a total fee based on weight at that time. The link above is just to give you a rought estimate.
Our flat CHaRM facility entrance fee of $3 applies to plastic appliances, which helps us cover the costs we incur recycling these hard-to-recycle materials.
• Large plastics such as Big Wheels® and plastic play structures, plastic lawn furniture, plastic watering cans, laundry baskets, clean plastic buckets (no residue), crates, rigid backyard kiddie pools and plastic trash containers.
• Must be the size of a five-gallon bucket or larger but must also be less than 3 feet by 3 feet (can be cut to meet these dimensions).
• In some cases, these plastics may not be marked with a #2, so look for them to be opaque with a matte finish and hollow inside. They are made with a mold, so will likely have a seam where two halves were joined.
• Non-plastic parts must be removed, including straps, padding and fabric. Items requiring disassembly will be charged a $5 fee.
• NO flower pots without a #2, inflatable pools or other inflatable plastics, water beds, chew toys, CD jewel cases, small toys such as action figures, etc.
• NO insulated plastic coolers
• $3 facility fee applies
• metal stands can be recycled as scrap metal at the CHaRM at no extra charge
• Standard spring or futon mattress, any size: ($17.50)
• Box spring, any size: ($17.50)
• 100% foam mattress toppers, any size ($8.75)
• Mechanical bed ($36.50)
• NOTE: As of July 2018, we can no longer accept bed bug-infested mattresses at the CHaRM
• NO mattresses or box springs with mold.
• Includes integral parts such as seats, pedals, handlebars, wheels, etc. and metal accessories such as baskets and Pannier racks
• NO other accessories or sporting goods
• $.50 per bike tire
• Puncture-resistant or slime tubes should be kept separately
• NO automotive or other tires
• Computer and Office Manuals
• Hard-Bound Books and Paperbacks
*Call for quantities one pallet and larger
*There is no fee to drop off books. Learn about our Book Reuse Project
• Residential quantities only (maximum 10 gallons); for larger quantities see our A-Z Recycling Guide listing for Cooking Oil
• Includes canola, corn, vegetable, olive, and sesame oils
• NO motor oil or any oil used for purposes other than cooking.
• Boulder Residents with ID: No additional charge
• Non-Boulder Residents: $7
• Paper materials only
• $10 per file box
Eco-Cycle provides a locked bin for residents and businesses to drop off documents for shredding at the CHaRM. A mobile shredding company comes every other Friday to shred the papers. We do not offer certificates of destruction. Vehicles that come to CHaRM are charged $3.00 per visit in addition to any per item fees. Call 303-444-6634 for more information or visit www.ecocycle.org/charm.
Small quantities of paper that is already shredded is also accepted as compost at the CHaRM. The facility fee will apply.
• Toilet, porcelain only (all other non-porcelain materials removed): $6.75/unit
• Toilet, whole (other materials still attached): $12.75/unit
• Sink or urinal, porcelain only: $3.50/unit
• Sink or urinal, plumbing attached: $6.50/unit
• Porcelain with biohazards will NOT be accepted.
• Other ceramics such as ceramic tile and pottery: $.07/lb
• NO glass, rebar, tile backing material, or other non-ceramics.
• Clean concrete -- must be free of aggregate, metal, rocks and dirt -- accepted in small quantities: less than small pickup truck bed size: $.07/lb
• NOTE: Concrete is NOT accepted at local hard-to-recycle events.
• Plastic foam, rubber foam and jute mats: $1/each
• NO badly soiled or smelly mats
• NO Tatami or other grass mats
Items at least 50% metal, including appliances
• Items without Freon®: no charge
• Items WITH Freon®: $15
• Cables and wire
Items that contain Freon® must, by state law, have the Freon chemicals removed by a professional before disposal. The $15 fee helps the CHaRM cover these costs. Items with Freon include refrigerators, air conditioners, dehumidifiers and freezers.
IF YOU HAVE EMPTY TANKS AND CYLINDERS: CHaRM accepts helium tanks. Bring them to the CHaRM but do NOT place them in the scrap metal bin. Please let the person at the CHaRM window know what you have and they will direct you to a special collection area at CHaRM.
NO O2, CO2, or Acetylene tanks. For O2, CO2, and Acetylene tanks, please contact local welding supply stores.
NO oil or fuel in motors
NO TANKS WITH ANY LIQUID OR GAS. Please remove all gas caps from mowers or other related equipment.
NO PROPANE CANISTERS OF ANY KIND. See our A-Z Recycling Guide listing for Propane canisters for more information.
Electronics are not scrap metal but can be recycled at the CHaRM for a fee.
Single-stream recycling is accepted at the CHaRM for no charge. Learn more about what's accepted in single-stream recycling.
CHaRM accepts food scraps, soiled paper and Zero Waste event supplies. Click here for full guidelines.
A small charge helps us offset the cost of the program:
Less than 5 gallons compost, no other CHaRM materials - free with a $1 facility use fee
Less than 5 gallons compost w/other CHaRM materials - compost is free, charge $3 facility use fee
5 gallons to 32 gallons (1/2 toter) compost: $6 + $3 facility use fee
$12 per 64 gallon toter of compost, + $3 facility use fee
$36 per cubic yard + $3 facility use fee