Job Opportunities at Eco-Cycle
There are no RFPs at this time.
CHaRM Yard/Warehouse Staff
Pay range: $14 - $15/hour to start based on experience, plus a full benefits package including health insurance, paid vacation and sick time, and ECO Pass.
Work Schedule: Tuesday through Saturday, 9:00am – 5:00pm, or as adjusted with supervisor
Start date: Filling job as soon as possible.
- Maintain CHaRM public drop-off lane in a safe and orderly condition
- Sort and process accepted materials for recycling by designated contractors and partners
- Direct and assist customers as needed and be alert for safety hazards
- Provide courteous customer service at all times
- Keep all unloading areas free of debris (CHaRM lane and commercial unloading area)
- Assist Eco-Cycle drivers in unloading accepted materials for processing
- Assist self-hauling commercial customers in unloading accepted materials for processing
- Operate company forklifts to perform above tasks as needed
- Maintain forklift operator’s certificate in good standing (training and certification provided by Eco-Cycle)
- Perform regular basic safety check and preventive maintenance on forklifts and CHaRM processing and materials handling equipment
- Perform all of the above tasks in coordination with small yard crew by maintaining good communication and relationships with fellow Eco-Cycle staff
- A strong personal recycling ethic and interest in conserving natural resources
- Certified forklift operator experience preferred with clean record or other large equipment experience
- Good communicator with the public
- Good team player – able to communicate problems and suggest practical solutions
- High priority on safety and cleanliness
- Some general knowledge of equipment/machinery/tools
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 40 pounds repeatedly
- Job requires performing physical labor in a safe way and includes significant time driving a forklift daily
- Job also requires working outdoors in all weather conditions in addition to working in a warehouse
- Must be able to pass a background check
Zero Waste Events Assistant
Eco-Cycle, one of the oldest and largest non-profit Zero Waste organizations in the U.S., seeks a temporary employee to provide support to our Zero Waste Events Services team. This is an hourly position without benefits. Events typically occur on weekends (Friday to Sunday), and occasionally on weekends. Qualified candidates will be service oriented, enjoy interacting with people and working as a team to achieve the goal of Zero Waste.
Zero Waste is a cyclical approach to resource management designed to protect our natural resources, reduce pollution and feed the local economy. Special events—including festivals and fairs, concerts, sporting events, and cultural gatherings—offer community members chances to gather and celebrate. However, they can also generate large amounts of waste. Zero Waste practices can dramatically decrease event waste by refusing, reusing, reducing, or recycling and composting to prevent the majority of materials from ending up in landfills. Together, we’re taking a huge step to protect our environment.
Expectations of the Zero Waste Events Assistant position:
- This position reports directly to the Zero Waste Event Manager for Eco-Cycle’s Zero Waste Events services. This position is a member of the Zero Waste Events team.
- The Zero Waste Events Assistant position is a temporary position (less than 20 hours/week) for the time periods of 5/1/2019 to 10/31/2019. The weekly work schedule includes evening and weekend engagements.
- Under the supervision of the Zero Waste Event Manager and/or Zero Waste Event Coordinator, the Zero Waste Events Assistant will support the Event Manager, Event Coordinator(s), and other members of the Zero Waste Events Team at staffed events. Responsibilities include supporting the day-of operations at Zero Waste events, including setting up and breaking down Zero Waste Stations and event equipment, servicing Zero Waste bins, preventing contamination of the recycling and compost bins, supervising volunteer Zero Waste “goalies,” and coordinating with other Zero Waste Events team members and event staff.
- The Zero Waste Events Assistant should be: a good communicator, friendly, service oriented, passionate about environmental protection, energetic, and organized.
- Due to the physical demands of this work, the Zero Waste Events Assistant should be able to lift 50 lbs.
For staffed events:
- Assisting Zero Waste Events Staff and volunteers with loading and un-loading of the event truck at the event location
- Setting up and breaking down Zero Waste Event Stations and event materials
- Coordinating volunteers throughout each event
- Assisting event goers and engaging them in educational conversation about Zero Waste
- Preventing contamination in recycling and composting bins
- Sorting discards after events to ensure no contamination in recycling and compost bins
Compensation for the Zero Waste Events Assistant position is: $12/hour.
Social Enterprise Business Director (expanded from previously advertised Transportation Director for Commercial Zero Waste Services)
Reports directly to: Executive Director, with direction from Deputy Director
Supervises: Zero Waste Business Services team & Center for Hard to Recycle Materials (CHaRM) team
- Support the mission of Eco-Cycle by helping to identify, evaluate and facilitate “social enterprise” business opportunities that advance our Zero Waste mission
- Collaborate with other seven Eco-Cycle departments to align goals and to evaluate and develop new social enterprise opportunities across departments
- Develop and implement strategic Business Plans, including evaluation of density of customers, growth potential, expenses, new niche services, marketing, etc., and analyze/maintain current rate structure for services in each department
- Provide materials market analysis and identify ways to develop or support emerging markets for traditional recyclables as well as HTR (hard-to-recycle) materials
- Identify new social enterprise and traditional partnerships or ways to get further benefit from existing partnerships (e.g. Blue Star Recycling and Spring Back Colorado)
Manage the Zero Waste Business & Hauling team, including working with the Hauling Operations Manager to:
- Supervise and help provide dispatch support for drivers
- Supervise and help provide customer and sales services, including setting pricing and bids
- Supervise database management and accounting review
- Ensure maintenance is performed on the physical assets
Manage the Center for Hard-to-Recycle Materials (CHaRM) team, including working with the CHaRM Operations Manager to:
- Supervise and help support CHaRM yard staff and cashier staff
- Help maintain vendor relationships and troubleshoot logistics
- Supervise database management and accounting review
- Ensure maintenance is performed on the physical assets
- Supervise special Zero Waste business services, including CHaRM on-the-road collections, Hard-to-Recycle one-time collection events for businesses and municipalities, and waste audits for businesses
- Manage the logistics associated with school district contracts, working with Eco-Cycle Schools Director
- Serve as liaison for significant partners and customers in the CHaRM and Business Department
- Provide stellar team leadership and ensure excellent and positive inter-departmental communications and relationship-building
- Create and manage department budgets
- Provide support for hiring, training, developing and supervising staff
Ideal candidate would have the following:
- A demonstrated strong recycling/composting, sustainable materials management and Zero Waste ethic and an active interest in furthering these efforts
- A background in business planning and budgeting using the Social Enterprise model
- Experience designing strategic plans based on social/community good, recycling market forecasts, and providing improvement recommendations
- Excellent customer service
- Very strong team building and supervisory skills with diverse personnel
Preferred, but not required:
- Work in the non-profit sector
- Two or more years of Transportation/Logistics experience, demonstrating the ability to plan and supervise the work of others
- Commercial Vehicle driving experience
- A demonstrated knowledge of Hazardous Materials, DOT, OSHA and EPA Regulations.
- Fluent with database management, and knowledge of computer software applications that also include spreadsheets and word processing
Maintenance Welder/Mechanic – Boulder, CO
Eco-Cycle requires a permanent, full-time Maintenance Welder/Helper to support the maintenance department in their aim to efficiently maintain equipment and facilities. The position is based in Boulder County. The ideal candidate will possess a positive frame of mind, cooperative team approach, and the ability to function well within a diverse maintenance team. Additional characteristic skills include a proactive and adaptive approach towards managing maintenance projects, proper attendance, and dependability. Being bilingual in Spanish is extremely helpful and a positive asset.
The key element to this position is maintaining and repairing processing equipment using knowledge of mechanical assembly, preventive maintenance, and welding skills to assure optimal operation.This role will work the second shift from 3:30pm to 12:00am with occasional overtime, supporting the company’s senior maintenance staff as required.
Complete intermediate level welding and maintenance work requiring welding with good precision
Experience in industrial maintenance field with the ability to work on repairing processing equipment, conveyor belts, and hydraulic equipment.
Preventive Maintenance and repair assistance with forklifts, skid steer, and front loaders.
Provide general help to (Mechanics, Welders, etc.) in their efforts to maintain company equipment and vehicles
Ability to prepare and maintain maintenance documentation and maintenance log.
Maintain the general cleanup of shop area and assist with cleanup projects as needed.
Required to work overtime hours, one or two Saturdays per month as needed.
At least 2-5 years of diverse welding experience on various sized equipment and materials, including fabrication and adjustment related welding
Extensive experience maintaining and servicing mechanical equipment such as cars, light trucks and/or heavy equipment. Must be capable of conducting basic repairs and be able to take direction from red seal mechanics on tasks
Experienced with metal fabrication and adjustment
Sound knowledge of mechanical machinery and the tools used to maintain them
Ability to operate a variety of hand tools and power tools
Ability to operate small and large equipment such as forklifts, skid steer loaders and a man lift is an asset.
The right candidate must be physically fit, able to climb ladders 20+ feet from time to time, lifting up to 40lbs, and navigating repairs in varying conditions including outdoor environments exposed to the elements.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND WAGE:
Working in an industrial plant with Indoor and outdoor conditions throughout the year in Boulder, Co
Second shift hours from 3:30pm to 12:00am, M-F
Starting Wage: $16 - $18 per hour (depending on experience) one or two Saturdays per month required with eligibility for overtime work based on employment standards rates
Eligible for benefits after 3 months of service
HOW TO APPLY
E-mail your resume to Eco-Cycle's General Mailbox with “Maintenance-Welder-Mechanic” in the subject line. We are an equal opportunity employer and thank you for your interest. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Eco-Cycle runs the Boulder County Recycling Center and employs people on the sorting lines and running equipment. Hiring for these positions is done by Leadpoint USA. Please contact them for current openings.
Leadpoint USA: www.leadpointusa.com, 1-800-552-3136
Our current internships are posted here. All our based out of our Boulder offices. They may be paid, unpaid or done for course credit. This is determined on a case-by-case basis.
In addition, Eco-Cycle offers a variety of ongoing internships opportunities in several areas of our work. Please contact us if you’re interested in learning more about other opportunities or in creating your own program.